Objective: The students will prepare a timeline highlighting the important
events related to man's flight.
National Standards: K-4, 5-8
Science content standards:
Evidence, models, explanation
Science and Technology
Understanding about science/technology
Objects in the sky
Position and motion of objects
History of science
Number and operation
1. Visit various web sites related to the History of Flight including the NASA
UEET Kid Site.
2. Gather information from books on flight. (A list of suggested URLs and resources
will follow at the end of this lesson plan)
3. Prepare a time line highlighting at least ten important events leading up
to the development of modern air travel.
4. Include at least five graphics relative to the events listed on the time
5. Present their timeline to the class.
Parker, Steve, Science Discoveries: The Wright Brothers and Aviation, Chelsea
House Publishers, NY, 1995.
Joseph, Paul, Inventors: The Wright Brothers, Abdo & Daughters, Edina,
NASA Glenn Research Center, UEET Program Student Site
National Air and Space Museum
Women in Aviation Resource Center
K8 Aeronautics Principles Text book