NASA grc IITAK-12 Homepage
LESSON PLANS created
Nathan Hale Middle School
3588 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cleveland, Ohio 44105
Subject Area: MATH and
3 - 5
- Science as Inquiry : All students should develop abilities
necessary to do scientific inquiry
- Plan and conduct a simple investigation.
- Employ simple equipment and tools to gather data and extend
- Use data to construct a reasonable explanation.
- Communicate investigations and explanations.
- Use mathematics in all aspects of scientific inquiry.
- The students will be introduced to different physical concepts
- Students should recongize how different quantitites can be
- Students should be able to make measurements by
- Students will be evaluated on a written activity involving
- An evaluation of a project on the number of measurments made a
home could be made.
When measuring something you make a relative comparison. You take
what you know and compare it to another object. If you know that a
paperclip weighs approximately one gram, you could estimate how many
paperclips your pen weighs or your eraser. The following types of
measurement will give you possible activities that a student could
use to learn more about that measurement. Teachers or parents could
use these activities to help their students see how measurement is
used everyday and maybe even have a good time working on a project.
These activities could be done at home with the family or in
Time is an important part of our daily life. We have to be at work or
school at a certain time. We are often paid by the amount of time put
into a task. One of the difficulties with time is determining time
elapsed. For example if a class starts at 8:15 a.m. and is over at
8:55 a.m., how long is the class? If a plane leaves Cleveland at
11:03 a.m. and arrives at Orlando at 2:30 p.m. how many minutes was
How long is a classroom, a football field, the height of a basketball
hoop from the floor, compared to the size of your foot or the length
of your stride. When we travel we determine the distance from
one place to another.
We often talk about how much we weigh or how heavy a box is to pick
up. We talk about something being light as a feather. How much does a
feather weigh? Using a balance scale objects can be compared by
weight. Which is heavier, a math textbook or a box of cereal?
How many 8 ounce glasses of pop can you get out of a 2 liter bottle?
Bring glasses and pop and pour until empty. Guess how many
tablespoons it takes to fill a cup?
NASA Glenn LTP K-12
Please direct any comments to:
For other fun activities on the net:
Erdos for kids
Appetizers and Lessons for Math and Reason
resourses for Elementary Mathematics
Learn Something about Nathan Hale Middle
Responsible Official: Kathleen.Zona@grc.nasa.gov