A WHOLE LANGUAGE UNIT
LESSON PLANS created
Durham Elementary School
Subject Area: Social Studies - Science
Grade Level: 4
- As a result of activities in grades K-4, all students should
develop understanding of Science as a human endeavor
- People continue inventing new ways of doing things, solving
problems, and getting work done. New ideas and inventions often
affect other people; sometimes the effects are good and sometimes
they are bad. It is helpful to try to determine in advance how
ideas and inventions will affect other people.
- Science and technology have greatly improved food quality and
quantity, transportation, health, sanitation, and communication.
These benefits of science and technology are not available to all
of the people in the world.
- This is a series of whole language lessons intended for a 4th
grade class. The theme of "Communication" is a launching pad for
the study of social studies, science, and language.
- This will vary depending on what parts of the unit are
- Students should be able to relate the increased ease of
communication with changes in technology.
- Grading of written papers and oral reports
This is a series of whole language lessons intended for a 4th
grade class. The theme of "Communication" is a launching pad for the
study of social studies, science, and language. Below is an outline
of the topics addressed. A variety of lessons are linked to each
area, as well as different sites on the world wide web that have
information on these areas. To get back to this screen, just keep
clicking on the back button until you return here or "bookmark" this
page and return here by selecting it from that menu.
Note: If you click on the colored titles above it will take you to
that part of the outline on this page. If you click on a colored word
below it will take you to an internet address (N) or another lesson
(L) in this project.
- Oral History (See a lesson on the internet to explore native
cultures and oral storytelling: (rememeber to go "back" to return
Storytelling Festival (N)) Visit a web site
- Renewable, Non-renewable resources
- trees (30 good reasons for)
- water (test for purity)