NAME_________________________________ CLASS____________________ DATE____________
Density and Lift Worksheet
Note: For Density Problems, use the formula D=M/V (Density = Mass divided by Volume)
For problems 1-4, use the mass and volume given to find the density of the column of air.
(1) Mass = 10 kg & Volume = 8m3Density =_________
(2) Mass = 15 kg & Volume = 10m3Density = _________
(3) Mass = 5 kg & Volume = 2m x 2m x 2m (Hint: You first need to calculate the volume!)Density = _________
(4) Mass = 35 kg & Volume = 3m x 3m x 3mDensity = _________
Now answer the following questions.
(5) Looking at your answers above, which density will produce the greatest amount of lift?
(6) Which will produce the least amount of lift?
(7) Given your answers to Problems 5 & 6 above, briefly state what effect the density of the air has on the lift of an airplane.