Arc-Tracking, Wire Insulation-Pyrolization, and
Current-Derating Vacuum Facility
- Evaluates pyrolization and arc tracking
of insulated wires and current limitation of insulated wires under
thermal space environments.
- Vacuum bell jar uses the cryogenic pump for high-vacuum
- Power includes 600 A electric arc welder, three 300 V, 6-a
dc power supplies, and 240 to 400 kHz ac power supply.
- 50 MHz EISA computer for real-time data acquisition,
process control, and computation.
- Sufficient feedthroughs available to provide cooling,
thermocouples, and high current to test area.
- Research tests performed with complete automated computer
- Vacuum system provides 10-6 Torr operating
pressures in bell jar.
- High-speed data acquisition and report generation.
- High-power capability to test articles.
- Provides controlled heating of test articles.
- Study pyrolization of
polyimide-insulated wires for atmospheric and space applications.
- Conduct arc-tracking tests on
samples of wire with candidate insulation materials for space
- Feasibility program to develop space wire derating test
procedure for candidate insulations for space applications.
- Evaluating electrical and electronic durability of
components for space application in vacuum environment.