1. What is another name for a jet engine?_______________
2. In the Turbojet Thrust diagram, the free stream air enters which engine part first?__________________
3. The air then flows into the ________________.
4. A compressor acts like rows of ___________________.
5. A compressor also acts like an electric _____________.
6. After you have completed your pinwheel, blow on it. Where is the best place to direct the air to make it turn?___________________________
7. Turn the fan on to the lowest speed and hold the pinwheel in front of it. What happens to the pinwheel? _______________________________________________________________________
8. What happens to the movement of the pinwheel when the fan is turned off? ____________________
9. What happens to the movement of the pinwheel when the fan is turned to a higher speed?_____________________________________________________________________________________
10. Turn the fan on and direct the air flow from it toward your hand. Describe what you feel.____________________________________________________________________________________________
11. Write a sentence describing what the compressor does to the air in a turbojet.________________________________________________________________________________________
12. Describe what happens in the burner.________________________________________________________
13. How is the action of the turbine like the action of your pinwheel?___________________________________
14. Comparing the pinwheel to the turbine, what do you think happens to the speed at which the turbine spins as the speed of the air increases? _________________
15. Trace the flow of air through the turbojet engine by listing its components in order.__________________________________________________________________________________________
16. What important result is created by each of the following things happening?
turbine turns ___________________________________
compressor turns ___________________________________
hot gases leave the engine ___________________________________
fuel is burned ___________________________________