PRINT THIS ANSWER SHEET TO FILL OUT AND TURN
Beginner's Guide to Propulsion
Turbine Engine Parts - Inlets--Worksheet
Complete the following problems:
- A Boeing 747 aircraft has a PW4000 engine with a 94 inch inlet
diameter. Find the radius, circumference, and area of this
- A DC-10 has a JT9D engine with a 46.7 inch inlet radius. Find
the diameter, circumference, and area of this inlet.
- A Boeing MD-90 has a circular inlet with a circumference of
199.39 inches. What is the radius of the inlet?
- The Airbus 318 has a Pratt & Whitney 6000 engine with a
cross-sectional circular inlet area of 2508.5774 square inches.
What is the circumference of this inlet?
- A commercial Boeing 777 has a large circular inlet with a 112
inch diameter. How much larger is the area of this inlet than the
inlet on the Boeing 747? (Hint: refer to
- The F-16 military plane has a smaller circular inlet with a
34.8 inch diameter. Calculate the radius, circumference and area
of this inlet.
- The Boeing C-17, a military transport aircraft has a circular
inlet with a circumference of 246.49 inches. Find the diameter and
area of this inlet.
- The F18E Super Hornet has a turbine engine with a rectangular
inlet. It has dimensions of 2'4" by 3'6." Find the area of a cross
section of this inlet in both square inches and square feet.
- Suppose there was a F19E Super Wasp with a rectangular inlet
area of 13.5 square feet. If the length is 4'6," what is the
- Write a few sentences summarizing and explaining what you
learned from this activity.