PRINT THIS ANSWER SHEET TO FILL OUT AND TURN
Aileron Roll Worksheet
After you have read the Web page about Aileron Roll, make a paper
airplane. Click on How
to make a paper jet model
for directions or fold an airplane of your own design. Then:
- Cut 0.25 inch ( 6 mm) slits about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from
the end of each wing and then fold these areas down. The tabs you
have just made are called:____________________
- Looking at your paper airplane from the front, fold the right
tab down and the left tab up so that it resembles the diagram on
the Aileron Roll Web page.What motion do you predict will result
when you fly your airplane? ___________________________________
- Fly your paper airplane. Was the motion the same as your
prediction in the question above? If not, describe how it
- The paper airplane should have rolled counterclockwise around
its center of gravity if viewed from the front. Where is its
center of gravity in terms of the length of the airplane?
- Now bend the left tab flat and bend the right flap up. Predict
the motion you will see when you fly the paper airplane:
- Fly the plane again. Was your prediction correct? If not,
describe how it differed. ________________________
- Is more lift generated on the wing when the tab is bent?
- Bend the tabs on both wings up and fly your paper airplane.
Explain what happened. __________________________________________
- In what situation would a pilot want to use the ailerons to
roll the plane? ________________
- Where are the ailerons located on a commercial jet?
- If the ailerons were used during landing to decrease lift,
which way would they be deflected? ________________
- Where is a spoiler located on a wing of an airliner?
- If a spoiler is deflected on the left wing of an airplane,
which way would the airplane roll as viewed from the front?
- If spoilers on both wings were deflected the same amount at
the same time, how would the plane's position change?
- Cut and attach small strips of paper to your paper airplane's
wings with tape. Fly it. How did your spoilers affect the flight?